Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What's Cookin'


I've always been passionate about good food and good cookin', but since becoming a busy Mom of three and not having as much time to pursue hobbies, cooking is one of those few outlets I have for channeling my creative energy. Growing up, my mother instilled in me a respect for healthy, fresh ingredients. My friends thought I was a little bonkers when I would insist on eating things that were preservative free, without additives or artificial colors. I'm not a saint, but I still try as often as I can to cook from scratch and to avoid eating things with ingredients I can't pronounce.

My mother was a great cook and I learned a lot from watching her in the kitchen, helping when she'd let me, and eating her food. She was a bit territorial in the kitchen and liked to do things her way at her own pace and I have to admit that I inherited some of that same stubbornness and independence in la cocina. I cooked for myself and my friends during college, which gave me opportunities to practice and experiment with food. I also cooked often during my 18 month mission in Spain, allowing my technique and recipes to evolve as readily as I allowed my own heart and mind to absorb and filter new tastes, new places, new ways of approaching life. When I married my husband Shaylan 7 years ago, I finally had a faithful patron to cook for and I really found delight in pleasing his palette. Three babies later I am cooking more than ever and I am even more
crazy about good food.

So I'm going to start posting about food
and sharing recipes that I love to make for my family and friends that come to our home. When I say recipes, most of the time I don't measure and a lot of what I cook I have adapted, changed, or invented myself. But here goes. . .

APRICOT-GINGER GLAZED PORK TENDERLOIN

2 Petite Pork Tenderloins (I buy them in a double pack)
Soy Sauce (about 1/4 cup)
Apricot Preserves (about 1/2 cup)
Fresh Ginger (about 2 Tbsp minced)
Fresh Garlic (2-3 cloves minced)

I place tenderloins in a heavy stoneware baking dish that fits them just right with little room to spare. Add the soy sauce, preserves, ginger and garlic and "massage" all of the ingredients onto the meat until covered evenly. Let stand several minutes or marinate in frig ahead of time. Do not cover. Roast in preheated 400 degree oven on the middle rack for about 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes before cutting so that juices can redistribute. Slice into medallions and serve over cous cous, top with natural juices from the pan. Finish off with sliced roasted red peppers and fresh cilantro sprigs on top.

I like to serve this dish with roasted sweet baby yams (butter and brown sugar melted on top) and sometimes steamed green beans tossed with tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, squeeze of lemon juice and salt/pepper to taste.

One of our family favorites!




No comments:

Post a Comment